"If you show someone something you’ve written, you give them a sharpened stake, lie down in your coffin, and say, 'When you’re ready.'"
- David Mitchell, Writers Write Creative Blog
One of the best ways to take your writing to the next level is to find a local group of writers who will read and critique your work. WyoPoets has compiled this list of local writing groups. If one is in your area, you might start here:
- BUFFALO: Writers' Ink meets 1st and 3rd Wednesdays at 4 p.m., at the Occidental Hotel. For more information, contact Margaret Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CASPER: The Casper Group meets the 2nd Wednesday night of each month 7 p.m. All genres welcome. For more information, contact Neva Bodin at email@example.com or Gayle Irwin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GILLETTE: Prairie Pens meets monthly except December, third Saturday at 1:00 at Campbell County Public Library. We welcome writers to join, although we ask that they just listen and learn what we do and how we do it for a couple of meetings.
- JACKSON: Jackson Writers Group meets 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of each month. 6:30-8:30 pm, in the conference room at the Center for the Arts. All genres welcome. For more information contact Linda Hazen email@example.com.
- RIVERTON: Westword Writers, Fremont County, meets on 2nd & 4th Mondays of the month at 1:00 p.m. and 2nd and 4th Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. in the Riverton Public Library. Visitors are welcome as are all genres. For information, email Teri Wiblemo: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ROCK SPRINGS: The Sweetwater County Writers’ Group meets every other Thursday afternoon at 4:00 PM in the Meadow Room of Hay Library on the Rock Springs campus of Western Wyoming Community College. Contact Dianna Renz or Dave Polhamus (307-371-2478) to confirm upcoming dates.
- SHERIDAN: Range Writers Range Writers’ Group of Sheridan meets every second Saturday of the month (September – June) 1:00 p.m at the Sheridan County Fulmer Library. Contact person:
Rose Hill at email@example.com
- SHERIDAN: In Sheridan: 3rd Thursday Poets meet on the 3rd Thursday of each month at the Senior Center from 2-4 p.m. Range Writers meet on the 2nd Saturday of each month, usually at the Library. For more information, contact: Abbie Taylor at 307-752-0033 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SUNDANCE: Bearlodge Writers, Sundance, is open to all who are serious about learning the craft of writing, whether they're beginners or published authors. This multi-genre critique group meets on the first Tuesday (11 a.m. until about 3 p.m.) and on the third Tuesday (5 p.m. until about 8 p.m.) of each month at the Crook County Public Library. Email Andi Hummel at email@example.com.
- WORLAND: Chapter One Writers Guild meets in Worland the 1st and 3rd Friday of each month at 5:00 p.m., SoHL (School of Holistic Living), 701 Grace Street.